I love a good recipe for the slow cooker. Especially when the weather is starting to get cool and you’re looking for something comforting to warm you up. This chicken recipe is so easy to make, tastes delicious and can be served with rice, salad, mashed potato or steamed vege. It’s so versatile, a must have recipe to have up your sleeve for when you have guests over or for a midweek meal that the whole family will love. This recipe can easily be doubled or quadrupled depending on the number of people you’re cooking for.
Why not use the slow cooked meat as the filling for a scrumptious puff pastry pie? You can cook the chicken the day before and then all you need to do is pop it in between some puff pastry sheets and a more delicious meal could not be found. The chicken literally falls apart and the sauce is so rich and moreish – you’ll be left wanting more.
I throw this on before we go to watch Cork Daddy’s rugby on Saturday’s. Walking in from the cold sideline to the smell of this chicken wafting from the kitchen is the stuff that dreams are made of. The best thing about this recipe is that my girls love it too.
Go on. Give it a go.
honey + mustard + garlic chicken | made in the slow cooker (serves 4-6)
1 x kilo of chicken breast, cut in to large chunks
2 x tablespoons of plain flour
1 x brown onion, sliced
3 x garlic cloves, minced
3 x heaped tablespoons of honey
1 x heaped tablespoon of Dijon mustard
1 x heaped teaspoon of wholegrain mustard
2 x heaped tablespoons of soy sauce
2 x heaped tablespoons of white vinegar
A good sprinkling of garlic seasoning
1/2 teaspoon of chicken stock powder, diluted in 1/2 a cup of water
Salt and freshly cracked pepper
Olive oil, for frying the chicken
1 x teaspoon of corn flour, diluted in 2 tablespoons of boiling water, for thickening the sauce
Mashed potato and steamed veggies, to serve
- Add the chicken pieces to a plastic bag, sprinkling the flour over the top. Shake around to coat the meat. Season well with salt and pepper.
- In a large fry pan, heat a glug of olive oil and in batches, brown the chicken pieces on all sides, being careful not to overcrowd the pan. Reserve the chicken in to the slow cooker.
- In the same fry pan, adding a little extra olive oil if you need to, fry the onion and garlic for a couple of minutes until softened. Add to the slow cooker.
- Add the honey, mustards, soy sauce, vinegar, garlic seasoning and stock to the slow cooker and stir.
- Cook on high for 4 hours, turning the chicken over twice throughout the cooking process if you can.
- Add the corn flour mixture (making sure you’ve stirred the flour in to the boiling water really well to avoid lumps) to the sauce. Let it cook for another 30 minutes. This will thicken the sauce slightly.
If you make this chicken dish please leave your comments below, or post your pic on Insta, tagging #los_kitchen. xx