Soph came to visit on the weekend. Best friends for over twenty years, we never learn; it’s always the same thing. Friday night, we get so excited to see each other that one bottle of wine quickly turns in to two and then three and then… well you can see where this is going. And last Friday night was no exception.
With food taking a backseat to alcohol, I’m a little ashamed to say that we had Chinese takeaway two nights in a row!
So with another weekend looming and more visitors in town, I thought I should whip out the country hospitality and cook something (or for one night at least). Is there anything more welcoming than the smell of home cooking wafting from the kitchen? And if you’re trying to impress your guests, with a minimum amount of fuss, then go for something like this chicken and artichoke casserole.
It’s SO easy. It’s SO tasty. It’s SO delicious. Using a limited amount of ingredients, you can make it ahead of time so that all you need to do when your guests arrive is heat it through, throw some salad leaves in a bowl and boil some chat potatoes. It’s old school cooking at it’s best (if I’m allowed to say this yet again!) Try it today.
And failing that, make sure you’ve got the local Chinese restaurant on speed dial.
No doubt they’ll be expecting a call from me tomorrow.
chicken + artichoke casserole
1 x kilo of chicken thigh fillets or 4 x chicken breasts (cut each breast in to 4 pieces)*
1 x 440 gram tin of artichoke hearts, drained
1 x brown onion, finely chopped
2 – 3 tablespoons of butter
1-2 teaspoons of paprika**
3 x tablespoons of plain flour
1 x cup of chicken stock (I use powdered stock diluted in water)
1 x cup of white wine
1/2 cup of sour cream
1/2 cup of grated parmesan cheese
Salt and freshly cracked pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180℃.
- Add a tablespoon of butter to a non stick fry pan and brown the chicken pieces (seasoning well with salt and pepper here). Place the chicken pieces in an oven proof casserole dish and set aside.
- Drain the artichoke hearts and using kitchen scissors, roughly chop each artichoke in to about 4 pieces. Arrange the artichoke over the chicken and set aside.
- In the same fry pan that you used to brown the chicken, sauté the onions and paprika in the rest of the butter.
- Add the flour to the fry pan and cook for a minute or so, whilst stirring with a wooden spoon.
- Pour in the chicken stock, whilst continuing to stir.
- Stir through the wine and cream.
- Then simply pour the creamy mixture over the chicken and artichoke.
- Cover in foil and bake for approximately 45 – 60 minutes (less time for chicken breast, more time for thigh fillets).
- Take the foil off the dish, sprinkle the parmesan cheese over the top and cook for a further 10 minutes.
Serve with a fresh leafy salad and chat potatoes.
*I prefer chicken thigh fillets to chicken breast for this recipe as I feel that they retain their moisture and don’t dry out, as chicken breast sometimes has the tendency of doing. Pictured, is chicken breast as IGA were out of chicken thighs.
**Use one teaspoon if you have hot paprika, two teaspoons if you have sweet paprika.
If you make this chicken and artichoke casserole, please leave your comments below. xx