Tired of making the same old things night after night? In a bit of a dinner rut? Then this quick and easy stir fry is for you. Cooked in the same amount of time it takes to steam the rice, if your family is anything like mine – there’ll be none left over. As always, spice it up with whatever you like. Think fresh chilli, sweet chilli sauce, coriander, sesame seeds or peanuts. Add spring onions, lemongrass, ginger or fresh lime wedges; or keep it nice and simple and follow my recipe to the T.
It’s a goodie to throw in to the mix to break up the spag bol/ snags with mash and vege/ creamy bacon pasta routine we’ve so often got going on at our place (my girls’ favourites). And the best thing I ever did was run Cork Daddy through the making of it. He’ll often cook it for dinner on those nights when I’m too busy watching Oliver’s Twist (oh how I love thee), opting for hokkein noodles instead of the rice.
There’s no doubt about it. He’s a keeper. Cork Daddy I mean (Jamie’s not bad either). As is this chicken stir fry. The ultimate family dinner. Give it a go today.
- Throw the veggies in the microwave for a couple of minutes to take the real crunch out of them so that they don’t need much cooking time in the pan.
- Slice the chicken breast nice and fine instead of chopping in to large chunks. It’ll cook quicker.
- Add red capsicum, baby corn or bok choy if you fancy it. You’ll just need to up the anti a bit on the sauces.
- If you do decide to top it off with a fried egg – use a dash of sesame oil to fry the egg in. It’ll give it that nice Asian flavour.
- Have some fun with it.
deliciously simple chicken stir fry | the ultimate family dinner (serves 2 adults + 2 kids)
500 grams of chicken breast, any fat removed and finely sliced
2 x carrots, peeled and finely sliced on the diagonal
1 x head of broccoli, cut in to small florets
1 x teaspoon of minced garlic
2 x teaspoons of brown sugar
A splash of white wine vinegar
An even better splash of soy sauce
A dash of vegetable oil
Salt and freshly cracked pepper
Steamed rice, to serve
Chilli sauce, to serve
Fried egg, to serve (optional)
- Pop the rice on to cook. (1 x cup of long grain rice to 1 1/2 cups of water. Bring to the boil, then back the heat off to a slow simmer and let it do it’s thing for 8 minutes or until nice and fluffy).
- Meanwhile, cut up the veggies and throw in to the microwave to pre cook for about 3 minutes. (You don’t want them soft – you’re just wanting to help them along a bit).
- Prepare the chicken breast, discarding any sinew or fat and slicing in to fine pieces.
- Now -in a non stick fry pan, add a dash of oil and fry the chicken in batches until browned on all sides. (You don’t want to overcrowd the pan as the chicken will start to stew in it’s own juices). Season with salt and pepper.
- Working quickly, add all of the chicken back in the pan and add the garlic, sugar, soy sauce and vinegar and stir through.
- Add the veggies to the pan and let it cook for a couple of minutes, stirring it all around to coat in the sauce.
- Serve with the rice and any extras you might like (such as chilli sauce and the fried egg).
If you make this stir fry, please leave your comments below. xx