I give to you – the ultimate Sunday night meal. Throw this crazy simple chilli con carne in the slow cooker in the morning and not only do you get the delicious smell wafting from the kitchen all day, but the only worry you’ll have come Sunday evening is what movie to watch on Netflix.
It’s always hard trying to come up with ideas for what to cook. “What’s for dinner Mum?” is a question often asked in our household and I’m always looking for new and easy recipes to help me with a response. This recipe has been adapted slightly from one that I found on website – Kidspot ages ago.
Made using affordable ingredients and ones that you can have on hand easily, be creative with it. Add as much or as little chilli as you like and serve it up with some corn chips, salsa and salad; steamed rice and baby spinach or some wraps topped with cheese and coriander. Make sure you have sour cream for serving and I really like the addition of the sweet chilli sauce which brings a little sweetness to the dish.
So with dinner sorted, it’s now for the hard part; we’re tossing up between ‘Saving Private Ryan’ or ‘Gladiator’?
crazy simple chilli con carne (serves 4)
This recipe can easily be doubled to feed a crowd.
1 x large brown onion, finely chopped
3 x large garlic cloves, crushed
500 grams of beef mince
1 x 50 gram sachet of tomato paste
1 x 400 gram tin of whole or chopped tomatoes
1 x beef stock cube, crumbled
1 x empty tomato tin full of water
1 x teaspoon of paprika
1 x teaspoon of oregano
1 x teaspoon of ground cumin
1 x teaspoon of ground chilli
1 x tablespoon of sweet chilli sauce, plus more to serve
1 x 400 gram tin of kidney beans
Salt and pepper
A dash of olive oil
Steamed rice, to serve
Sour cream, to serve
Baby spinach, to serve
- In a fry pan add a dash of olive oil and sauté the onions until soft. Add the garlic and continue to cook for another minute.
- Add the mince to the onions and cook until browned, breaking up with a wooden spoon as you go. Season with salt and pepper.
- Now add the tomato paste, tinned tomatoes*, beef stock cube, water, paprika, oregano, cumin, chilli and sweet chilli sauce and stir to combine.
- Transfer to a slow cooker**, adding the drained kidney beans and cook on high for 6 hours or on low for 8 hours.
- *If using whole tomatoes, break them up with your wooden spoon here.
- **Alternatively, you can cook the chilli on the stove top instead. Cook it with the lid on over a low heat for 2 hours, stirring every now and then and being careful not to let it burn on the bottom. If cooking it this way, you will need a little more water or preferably, beef stock as you go.
- Go ahead and add some grated carrot/zucchini, diced capsicum or corn to the mince to ‘up’ your veggie intake.
If you make this chilli con carne, please leave your comments below. xx