Now be warned, this recipe has Iceberg in it (Cork Daddy’s favourite).
The old Iceberg gets a bit of a bad wrap of late. Its the daggy older sister who has been around forever; before the days of the younger and more fashionable kale, rocket and cos.
The shredded fresh lettuce with the fieriness of the spice rub really works though! So don’t be a lettuce snob, give it a crack. A bit of inspo for the fast approaching weekend perhaps?
And if you’re tired of the same old midweek dinners and find yourself reaching for a take away menu for a Friday night in on the couch, then try this delicious homemade burger. It is much better for you, cheaper than a store bought one and so quick to make. And for those of us who are living out of town with no takeaway options, this will just have to cut it.
The addition of the cheat’s homemade aioli with the Cajun spiced chicken, makes for a flavoursome meal that is so versatile. You can use any type of hamburger bun, ciabatta bread, even a wrap; or you could leave the bread out altogether and eat the chicken with the salad and some ready cooked, microwaveable brown rice.
Older sisters, although daggy, do know better after all.
Cajun chicken burger (serves 2 adults)
1 large chicken breast (or 2 small ones)
1/2 teaspoon of paprika
1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon of dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon of garlic seasoning
Olive oil, for grilling the chicken
2 x Turkish bread rolls
1 x tomato, finely sliced
1 cup of Iceberg lettuce, shredded
Sliced cheese, 2 slices
1/4 of a Spanish onion, sliced
Butter, for buttering the toasted Turkish bread
Serve with the cheat’s homemade aioli. (Recipe below).
- In a small bowl, mix together the paprika, cayenne pepper, dried thyme, salt and pepper.
- Take one large chicken breast and slice it in half. Slice each half again and flatten it out, so that you have 4 butterflied pieces of chicken breast.
- Using a mallet or a rolling pin (or your fists) flatten the chicken breast out so that it is very thin (about 1cm) and evenly sized.
- Rub the spice mix on the chicken breast pieces on both sides. Drizzle with olive oil.
- On a hot griddle pan, add a dash of olive oil and add the chicken breast and cook for 3- 5 minutes on one side before turning over and cooking for another 2 – 3 minutes. (They shouldn’t take long to cook through if you have them nice and thin).
- Toast the Turkish bread and smear with butter.
- Add a good dollop of the aioli and then layer the cheese, tomatoes, Spanish onion, chicken breast and lettuce. Sandwich together between the slices of toast.
- Eat straight away while it’s still nice and hot. Goes so well with a freezing cold beer.
cheat’s homemade aioli (handy to have up your sleeve to use time and time again with a number of dishes; such as homemade calamari, grilled salmon or baked potato chips).
2 tablespoons of whole egg mayonnaise
Juice of 1/2 a lemon
1 garlic clove, crushed
Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Mix all ingredients together in a small bowl. (NB: you can also add chilli to this aioli if you like things crazy hot!)
- Avocado, red capsicum, sliced cucumber, baby spinach, or grated carrot also work well here.
If you make this burger, send me a pic here as I would love to pop it up on the blog! xx