The thing I love about cooking is that you can cook things depending on your mood. One day you’ll lose yourself in making a trendy Vegan chickpea stew (thanks to Soph for the inspo) and the next – you’ll feel like throwing everything in a pot and chucking it in the oven.
Tonight’s mood calls for something simple, which is why this chicken and rice bake is so good. The ultimate kids dinner – you should see my girls gobble it up; Cork Daddy giving me so much praise, I have to laugh when I tell him how easy it is to make. Annabelle declares that “we used to have this at daycare!” And I tell you what – if I was the cook at their old daycare centre, this is the exact dish I’d be making again and again.
There’s nothing trendy about it. It’s just hearty and honest. No-fuss cooking at it’s best. And packed full of vege, chicken, rice and cheese, it makes for a well rounded meal; one that the whole family will enjoy.
Go ahead and see so for yourself.
one pot chicken + rice bake
3/4 cup of long grain rice
1 x 420 gram tin of Campbell’s Cream of Chicken soup
2 x cups of mixed vegetables (broccoli, carrots, corn, capsicum, frozen peas)
1 1/3 cups of water
A good sprinkling of garlic or onion powder (if you happen to have it)
Freshly cracked pepper
2 x chicken breasts, diced
1 x cup of grated cheese
- Preheat the oven to 180℃.
- Simply throw the rice, soup, veggies, water and garlic powder in to a large ovenproof Dutch oven or casserole dish (one with a lid) and season well with pepper.
- Lay the chicken pieces over the top and pop the lid on. Bake for 30 minutes.
- Take it out of the oven and give it a good mix. Sprinkle over the cheese. Bake for another 20 minutes.
- Let it stand for 5 minutes. Give it a good stir before serving.
Please leave a comment below if you cook this dish. Would love to hear what you think. xx