State of Origin tonight. One half of me wants to be at Rom’s watching it on the giant outdoor screen; the other half is stoked with my decision to stay at home with a bowl of this delicious slow cooked curry.
This is one of my go-to meals for days when I want something quick and tasty that the whole family will enjoy. Talk about easy! You’ll find nothing fancy here and using the store bought curry paste makes it so simple to whip up. It’s absolutely delicious, comforting and the type of meal that you want to devour, snuggled up on the couch for a TV dinner.
The other great thing about this dish is that my girls really like it (you can go easy on the curry paste if your kiddies are a bit suss when it comes to chilli). I love the way the chicken just melts in your mouth and the coconut milk gives it a lusciousness that’ll hands down get you going back for seconds. Throw in any veggies you have in the fridge and serve it up with some boiled rice for an all round meal. And for the spice lovers out there – sprinkle some chilli flakes over the top when you go to serve up.
Note to self – book babysitter for Game II.
C’mon the Blues.
thai red curry w chicken + jasmine rice (serves 4)
You will need a slow cooker for this recipe.
500 grams of chicken thigh fillets, trimmed of any excess fat and cut in to large chunks
1 x brown onion, sliced in to wedges
2 x garlic cloves, crushed
1 x heaped dessertspoon of store bought Thai red curry paste*
1 x 400 gram tin of coconut milk
1 x dessertspoon of brown sugar
1 x dessertspoon of fish sauce
The juice of half a small lemon
2 x carrots, peeled and sliced
A good handful of green beans, trimmed
Salt and freshly cracked pepper
A splash of olive oil, for frying the chicken
Steamed jasmine rice, to serve
- In a non stick fry pan, add a dash of olive oil and brown the chicken pieces on all sides. Season with salt and pepper here. Reserve in to a slow cooker.
- Add the onions and garlic to the fry pan and sauté until softened. Add to the chicken in the slow cooker.
- Add a dash more olive oil to the pan and add the curry paste. Cook, stirring for less than a minute. (You just want to ‘awaken the spices’ in the paste. Be careful here – it will probably spit if the pan is too hot).
- Add the coconut milk and stir.
- Add the brown sugar, fish sauce and lemon juice.
- Pour the liquid in to the slow cooker and cook for 4 1/2 hours on low or until the meat is completely ‘melt in your mouth’ tender.
- Add the carrots and beans and let them cook for a further 1/2 an hour or until cooked to your liking.
- Serve with some cooked jasmine rice.
- *Depending on who you are cooking this curry for, determines how much curry paste you want to add. I’m pretty heavy handed on the spice (my sister Ali will attest to that). Maybe only use half a dessertspoon if making for fussy kiddies (or adults for that matter.) Ali.
- You can substitute the vegetables with any of the following; broccoli, cauliflower, snow peas, frozen peas, corn kernels, red capsicum, button mushrooms, zucchini, eggplant, sweet potato or pumpkin.
- It’s also hard to say exactly how long it will take in the slow cooker as every slow cooker is different. Some have just the one setting, others have an auto setting and obviously if you’ve doubled the quantities – it will take a bit longer.
If you make this Thai red chicken curry, please leave your comments below. xx