9℃ in Wagga. You couldn’t get better soup weather if you tried.
I’m sharing this recipe for the nicest soup I know how to make. Based on a recipe that my mother in law uses, it’s a delicious potato soup cooked with bacon, loads of onion and is so luscious and comforting.
Make a batch of this for a midweek dinner, take the leftovers to work the next day or make a batch on the weekend, go to the Artisan for a loaf of the crustiest bread in town and invite some friends round for lunch in front of the fire. Lunch and drinks. A liquid diet.
Give this a go.
potato + bacon soup
4 x large potatoes, diced in to 1cm pieces
2 x small brown onions, diced
4 x rashers of bacon, finely chopped
A knob of butter
2 x tablespoons of plain flour
4 x cups of chicken stock
1 x cup of thickened cream
2 x egg yolks
Juice of half a lemon
Salt and white pepper, to taste
Fresh flat leaf parsley, chopped, to serve
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan and saute the onions and bacon until soft.
- Add the flour and cook for one minute, stirring.
- Add the chicken stock and potatoes and season well with salt and pepper.
- Bring it to the boil, then back it off to a low simmer and cook for 30 minutes, or until the potatoes are nice and soft but still holding their shape.
- In a small bowl, using a fork – whisk the egg yolks and cream together. Season with salt and squeeze in the lemon juice.
- Whisk the egg/cream mixture and the chopped parsley in to the soup and stir. Give it a good stir over the low heat, then take it off the heat and it’s ready to go.
- The recipe that my mother in law makes uses sour cream instead of thickened cream. The reason I use the thickened cream is for a couple of reasons, I always have thickened cream in the fridge (I often make the girls their favourite creamy bacon pasta) and I never seem to have sour cream. I ‘sour’ the cream with the squeeze of fresh lemon juice instead. It tastes delicious and seems to be lighter than if you use sour cream.
If you make this soup please leave your comments below, or post your pic on Insta, tagging #los_kitchen. xx