You either love it, or hate it. A popular food movement over the past few years, I’ve actually seen t-shirts that sport “I Heart Kale” on them.
I posed the question around the dinner table on Friday night; “have you cooked with kale before?” The answers were definitely skewed more towards NO.
“I don’t know what to do with it.”
“I’ve bought it before but then never used it.”
“I made a ham hock and kale soup and it was the worst thing I have ever tasted so I am scarred”.
“I like kale chips!”.
It’s an ingredient that people are scared to use I reckon. If this is you and you haven’t cooked with kale before, than this is the perfect dish to start with. A very bitter vegetable, it is best served as a side to a fatty meat such as roast pork.
Now I don’t own a “Keep calm and eat kale” t-shirt and I’m sure I never will. I will, however, continue to cook roast pork. With some kale on the side.
kale w pine nuts
Bunch of curly kale
1 clove of garlic, sliced
Juice of 1 lemon
Handful of pine nuts
2 tablespoons of good quality olive oil
Malden salt and freshly cracked pepper
- In a small fry pan, add the pine nuts and toast over a low heat until just browned. (Be careful here – they will burn quickly so don’t take your eyes off them).
- In a large fry pan, heat a splash of olive oil over a medium to high heat and throw in the garlic. Let it cook for a couple of minutes, careful not to let it burn.
- Now, throw in the chopped kale, add a splash of water (be careful as the water being added to the oil in the pan will result in it spitting) and pop a lid on.
- Let it steam for a couple of minutes (I keep taking the lid off and stirring it around). Cook until just wilted.
- Add the lemon juice, season with salt and pepper and transfer to a serving platter.
- Serve kale with the pine nuts, a wedge of fresh lemon and a drizzle of good quality olive oil. (NB: Only top the kale with the pine nuts right before you want to eat it so that the nuts don’t go soggy).
If you make this kale dish, send me a pic here as I would love to pop it up on the blog! xx