If you’ve got lemons on tap, this is the recipe for you. And if you do… I’m jealous. Oh to have a lemon tree outside like the one at my sister in law’s place (thanks Ju) that grew these deliciously juicy lemons – perfect for this tangy, zesty and punchy lemon slice. How very ‘Amalfi coast’.
Easy to make but impressive all the same, it really is worth trying. Made up of a biscuity base on the bottom, contrasting with the goo-ey, lemony top; I really like the difference in textures. It’s somehow fresh and sweet and yet sour all at the same time. Just what you need come three o’clock when you’re looking for a little pick-me-up to get you through to dinner.
Adapted slightly, the recipe hails from an old Australian Women’s Weekly cookbook (so you know it must be good). I can’t quite put my finger on it but if you leave the slice in the fridge to go cold, just one bite reminds me of …. well, ITALY. Is it even grammatically correct to say that? Probably not. Sorry Mum (the English teacher).
It just gives you that same burst of flavour in your mouth that you get from a scoop of lemon sorbet after a huge meal of pizza and pasta. It’s almost like a palette cleanser. Am I allowed to say that a sugary, biscuity, lemony slice is a palette cleanser? It just really feels like it is. It’s so good; and can be eaten at any time of day.
So to see what I’m banging on about, you’ll just have to make it yourself. We may not be able to travel internationally or eat out in Italian restaurants yet, but we can all enjoy this lemon slice; be transported to another time and place, maybe to a memory of a meal in a red and white checkered tablecloth clad taverna somewhere.
Just close your eyes, take one bite and pretend.
tangy lemon slice
I love this slice eaten cold, straight from the fridge.
125 grams of softened butter
1/4 cup of icing sugar
1 cup plain flour
3 x eggs
1 x cup of caster sugar
1/4 cup of plain flour
1/2 cup of fresh lemon juice
2 teaspoons of lemon zest
Extra icing sugar to sprinkle over the finished product
- Preheat oven to 170℃ and grease and line a 23cm square cake tin.
- Using a hand held mixer, beat the butter and icing sugar together until pale and creamy.
- Add the flour and continue to mix until it all comes together.
- Using your fingers, spread the biscuity base out evenly in the prepared tin.
- Bake for approx 15 minutes or until slightly browned.
- Whilst this is baking, simply whisk together the ‘lemony top’ ingredients using a whisk.
- Once the ‘biscuity base’ is ready, carefully pour the lemon mixture over the top and bake for approx 20 minutes or until set.
- Leave the slice to cool in the cake tin – but do place it on top of a wire rack (so that the base doesn’t continue to cook).
- Once cooled completely, dust with icing sugar and cut in to squares to serve.
If you make this lemon slice, please leave your comments below. xx