I saw something on Facebook the other day that said “Find out what Donna Hay’s favourite kitchen utensil for under $20 is!” Of course I couldn’t help but click on it and for some unknown reason, the page didn’t load. Bugger. Anyway, I then got distracted doing something else and annoyingly, I still don’t know what it is!
I know what mine is though. My favourite kitchen utensil that’s well below $20 and doesn’t take up much space in the ‘second drawer down’. This little sifter thingymajig. (I admit I had to Google how to spell that).
And what do I use it for you may ask? To sprinkle icing sugar over my Annabelle’s cake, butterfly cupcakes and these brownies. It’s so much easier than getting the big sifter out and makes you feel pretty profesh. Fake it till you make it.
And these deliciously chocolatey; oozy but somehow chewy at the same time brownies are a great recipe to make that’ll have you impressing your family and friends or whoever eats them. They’re so easy; the perfect special treat for an afternoon 3pm pick-me-up; give them a go today. Fancy little sifter or not.
But if you’ll excuse me, I’m off to go and find that link to see what Donna can’t live without. It’s really bugging me now.
After I devour one of these first of course.
125 grams of butter (melted in the microwave)
1 x cup of caster sugar
2 x eggs
1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
1/4 cup of cocoa
1/3 cup of plain flour
200 grams of dark cooking chocolate, chopped in to small pieces
A dusting of icing sugar (to serve)
- Preheat oven to 180℃ and grease and line a square cake tin (20 cm x 20 cm).
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the butter, sugar, cocoa, vanilla and eggs with a wooden spoon.
- Add the flour and mix well.
- Add the chocolate pieces and mix well.
- Pour the mixture in to the prepared cake pan and spread evenly using a spatula.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Let the brownie cool in the tin before cutting in to pieces.
- Dust brownies with icing sugar to serve.
Makes 16 pieces.
If you make these chocolate brownies, please leave your comments below. xx