Nothing says ‘winter’ or ‘dinner party’ like a sticky date pudding does.
For as long as I can remember Mum’s been making sticky date puds. She’s always made them as individual puddings in muffin tins and served them warm with butterscotch sauce and a scoop of vanilla ice cream, topped off with a fresh strawb. Delish.
It’s the perfect dessert for when you have friends over for dinner because you can make the puddings and sauce ahead of time and simply heat them up once you’re ready to go. The mixture will make more than you need, so pop them in the freezer to bring out the next time you have people over, or for when you need a bit of a special treat.
This is a tried and tested recipe – a must have for any home cook.
individual sticky date puddings (makes 18)
1 cup of water
250 grams of chopped, pitted dates
1 teaspoon of bicarb soda
60 grams of butter, softened
2 eggs, beaten
2/3 cup of castor sugar
1 x teaspoon of vanilla extract
2 x teaspoons of golden syrup
1 1/2 cups of self raising flour, sifted
Canola oil spray, for greasing the muffin tins
200 grams of brown sugar
60 grams of butter
1 cup of thickened cream
1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extra
- Preheat the oven to 180℃ and line two muffin trays with canola oil spray.
- Put chopped dates in to a saucepan with water.
- Bring to the boil slowly and then simmer gently until it becomes a thick paste. Stir often with a wooden spoon. Remove from heat.
- Mix in bicarb soda, butter, eggs, sugar, vanilla and golden syrup with a wooden spoon.
- Fold in the sifted self raising flour.
- Spoon the mixture in to the prepared tins.
- Bake for 20 – 25 minutes or until cooked. Serve warm with the hot butterscotch sauce, vanilla ice cream and fresh strawberries.
To make the butterscotch sauce: Place the butter, sugar and vanilla in a saucepan and stir over a medium heat until the butter has melted and it’s all fully incorporated. Add the cream and heat through.
- You can also make these puddings the day before you need them. Keep them in an airtight container in the fridge. Zap them in the microwave when ready to serve.
- They also freeze well for up to 3 months; the perfect dessert to have up your sleeve for when unexpected guests pop in.
If you make these sticky date puddings, please leave your comments below, or post your pic on Insta, tagging #los_kitchen. xx